Colon Hydrotherapy has become more popular in the past few years, thanks in part to sites like Groupon (where we find all kinds of things we may never have known about, or just wanted to try out for a discount first — like laser hair removal, cool sculpting, and keratin treatments).
But what exactly is it, and is it good for you? Recently I had an appointment for CHT, and when I told my co-worker about it, she asked “is that something you drink?” I laughed but it occurred to me that maybe it isn’t as well known as I assumed. I have been doing CHT for several years, but it’s still a debated subject in the health world.
WHAT IS IT?
Colon Hydrotherapy, colon irrigation, and colonics are pretty much one and the same. It’s basically a process by which the colon is irrigated with water and flushed out to remove the contents, and this process is repeated several times over the course of an appointment that usually lasts around one hour.
Theoretically, the benefits are that CHT:
- Prevents or treats constipation and helps maintain regularity
- Makes the digestive system more effective
- Increases energy and decreases mental fog
- Increases absorption of vitamins and minerals
- Prevents many ailments and diseases
IS IT SAFE?
Full disclosure, there is a lot of discussion pertaining to the fact that not enough research has been done on CHT to prove any of these benefits, and some sources say it can be dangerous, due to flushing out the bad with the good. However, Colon Hydrotherapy has survived medical disclaimers for over a century, and is becoming popular again today.
A few things to consider after a CHT session are:
- Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate!
- Drink alkaline water and/or water with extra electrolytes
- Take probiotics to repopulate the colon with healthy bacteria
- Eat cleaner foods — don’t replace the bad with more bad!
- Talk to your doctor about any foods and supplements to aid in digestion
Since I’m not doctor and science isn’t my forte, I do not know whether there are any benefits beyond providing relief from physically emptying the colon, but I do know I have not had any negative side effects from the sessions I’ve had, I feel a million times better and 20 pounds lighter after each session, and I plan to continue using CHT in the future!